Do These 5 Things in an AC Emergency
Is there anything more refreshing than an icy, chilled treat in the middle of a steamy Jacksonville Beach summer? Next to the cool relief your home’s air conditioning provides, ice cream gets our vote as the best way to stay cool when the summer heat gets unbearable. And since Aug. 14 is National Creamsicle Day, there’s no better time than now to indulge. After all, ice cream is the perfect solution to just about any overheated emergency. But what about when your air conditioning tanks and you find yourself in an AC emergency? Uh-oh! What do you do in this situation?
Let us tell you!
5 Steps to Take in an AC Crisis
We’ve all heard of Murphy’s Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. And when it comes to our cooling systems taking a nosedive, this law often rings true. Air conditioning tends to fail during the most inopportune times—on the hottest day of the year when relatives are visiting or, even worse, during that big birthday party. Well, next time this happens, Buehler Air Conditioning wants you to be prepared with the knowledge you need. These five steps will help you remain calm and cool during an AC crisis:
1. Check the filter first. If your air conditioner’s filter is dirty or clogged with gunk, your cooling system will have to work harder than necessary. If it’s working on overload, it may stop producing cool air. Checking your filter during an AC breakdown should be your first line of defense.
2. Check for leaks. A bit of water coming from your cooling system’s outdoor unit is normal. Large leaks are not. Some sure-fire signs you may have a refrigerant leak include the buildup of ice on outdoor pipes or low airflow coming from vents. If you notice either of these, call Buehler Air Conditioning for some professional repair.
3. Head to the breaker box. Summer storms can result in your power going out. If a power surge occurs, your AC’s breakers could easily trip and turn your system off. Head to the breaker box and double-check that nothing has tripped. If it has, reset the breaker once. If it continues to trip, don’t mess with it. Call in the pros.
4. Turn on the fans. If your air conditioning has already stopped working, you’ll want to keep your home as cool as possible until your system is properly fixed. Turn on all ceiling fans, shut and lock the windows, and close blinds in rooms that get the most sun exposure. Of course, if you think your system has sustained damage from an electrical storm or another power issue, turn it off immediately and call the team at Buehler Air Conditioning for expert care!
5. Be aware of odd smells. If your vents are emitting strange smells—especially ones that smell like something is burning, turn off the AC power immediately. Burning smells indicate an electrical component could be malfunctioning.
Don’t Melt! Call Buehler Air Conditioning for Cool Relief
When cooling breakdowns happen, your first step is to not panic! There are many ways to remain cool during this downtime, including hitting the beach, taking a dip in the pool and, yes, munching on some delicious ice cream! But if you truly need AC repair in your Jacksonville Beach home, Buehler Air Conditioning is here for you. Call our office today to set up your appointment.