Serving Jacksonville, FL & Surrounding AreaStay Cooler With BuehlerCALL 904-906-4204
September 7, 2021
Avoid These Heating Mistakes This Winter
Stay Cozy, Safe & on Budget
We know it’s technically still summer and Florida will remain steamy for quite some time. However, you should be thinking about the upcoming change in seasons and what this may mean for your heating system. Temperatures will drop; it will feel colder; and your furnace will once again need to pull its weight! Still, even seasoned homeowners can forget to give their heating systems some TLC before switching them back on when the cold weather returns.
To prep you for the months ahead, our Grade-A technicians have compiled some professional advice to keep your home heated properly—and safely—this fall. Follow these six simple rules to help avoid heating mistakes in your home:
1. Don’t turn your thermostat too low before bed. Homeowners have a tendency to lower their heat right before they head to bed. However, lowering the temperature too much only leads to a cold house in the morning—and then what? You bump the gauge up and your heater needs to work twice as hard to reach desirable temperatures. Be smart about adjusting your thermostat in the evening. Don’t bump it down more than one or two degrees.
2. Do not close unused vents. Do you shut vents thinking the air will be rerouted to other areas of your home? While the reasoning behind this may seem smart, it’s typically not a good idea. Both your heating system and your ductwork are fitted to the size of your home—and designed to evenly distribute airflow. Messing with vents can interrupt this heat distribution and actually add stress to your system’s operation. Fully opening vents throughout your entire home allows air to be distributed evenly.
3. Remember to turn off exhaust fans. Don’t leave kitchen or bathroom exhaust fans running. Running them excessively only draws warm air out. You need that warm air inside your home to keep you cozy! Turn exhaust fans off when not in use.
4. Don’t ignore air leaks. If you’ve noticed air leaking near doors or windows, don’t mess around. Warm air that escapes through cracks and openings only boosts your heating bill. Take time to seal leaks or add weather stripping to fix these problems before the weather shifts.
5. Don’t block out sunlight. The sun is a natural heating source! Why not use it to your advantage? Open blinds during the day when the sun shines brightly to heat up your indoor space.
6. Do not avoid annual furnace maintenance. We can’t repeat this enough: Regular heating maintenance is one of the best ways to ensure your unit is working properly and efficiently all season long. Call the team at Buehler to schedule your heating system maintenance now!
At Buehler, we’re all about preparing homeowners for what comes next—especially during the change of seasons. When you need professional heating or cooling assistance, you can rely on our top-of-the-class technicians to save the day. Call us today at 904.906.4204 to schedule your fall heating checkup!