Serving Jacksonville, FL & Surrounding AreaStay Cooler With BuehlerCALL 904-906-4204
December 11, 2020
5 Home Heating Tips for Those Chilly Winter Days
Don’t Get Caught Out in the Cold!
As Floridians, we definitely enjoy our warmth and sunshine. So, when those unwelcome frosty days hit our homes, we feel winter’s chill just a little bit harder than most. We’re simply not made for colder weather—but we are resilient! In fact, here at Buehler, we have quite a few insider tips for staying cozy and safe throughout those cold days. And as luck would have it, we’d like to share our warm secrets with you!
At Buehler, we always recommend annual heating maintenance in your Jacksonville Beach home as a means of extending the lifespan of your system and increasing efficiency, too. It’s the simplest way to get the most bang for your buck—and the best way to stay cozy, too. But there are also some pretty easy home heating tips—and simple safety reminders— to help you stay safe and snug this winter as well. Here are five:
1. Use grills and ovens for cooking only. While this may seem a bit obvious, don’t use grills, ovens or stovetops to help heat your home. Ovens are for cooking and grills should remain outside and only be used for outdoor cooking.
2. Invest in fireplace screens. Fireplaces come in exceptionally handy during the winter month. But if you have a gas fireplace in your home—or even a real wood burning one—it’s essential to protect your family by using fireplace screens. Screens help keep curious children and pets away from possible danger. For extra safety, have your fireplace serviced each year and always keep flammable objects at a safe distance.
3. Be smart with portable heaters. Don’t bring kerosene heaters indoors. They emit hazardous fumes and can also be a huge fire hazard. If you must stay extra snug, use an electrical space heater—remembering to keep it at least three feet away from any type of furniture or curtains and always unplugging it when not in use.
4. Install carbon monoxide detectors & smoke alarms. Homeowners with gas fireplaces or any other gas appliances should keep carbon monoxide and smoke detectors on every level of their homes. Since carbon monoxide is a gas that can’t be detected via smell, detectors are essential to keeping families safe. Be sure to test batteries every fall and spring in conjunction with daylight saving time!
5. Purchase a fire extinguisher. If you don’t have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, get one. Once you have one, learn how to use it properly. Then, if the time comes when you need it, you’ll be fully prepared.
Best Wishes from Buehler for a Safe and Happy Season
As 2020 comes to a close, the team at Buehler wants to thank our customers for sticking by us during such a challenging year. This year was definitely one for the record books. We are grateful for all of our clients who called on us for their air conditioning repair and heating replacement needs. We look forward to better days in 2021 and will continue to provide the very best in HVAC service to residents in the Jacksonville Beach area. Happy holidays!