Because the Last Thing You Want to Lose Is Your Cool
We love ductless mini-splits because they’re cool and sleek, just like our brand! Mini-splits are an ideal choice for efficient, reliable cooling without the costs and constraints of ductwork. They’re especially useful during home renovations or additions when you want to cool a smaller space without having to add ductwork. Plus, they’re minimally invasive and provide ample cooling comfort in quiet, hushed tones.
But just like any other piece of equipment, mini-splits need to be properly maintained and looked after. Otherwise, the long-term savings that you would’ve gained with your mini-split goes right out the window. This month, we’re covering some of the most common issues with mini-splits and how you can avoid mini-split repair in Jacksonville, FL.
If You Own a Mini-Split, Be Sure to…
1. Look for signs of refrigerant leaks. If you notice liquid near the unit, there’s likely a refrigerant leak. While mini-splits spare homeowners from ductwork-related issues such as dirty or leaky ductwork, problems can arise with the air handlers. If the leak isn’t repaired in a timely manner, it can destroy the compressor and result in premature system failure. During an annual tune-up, we’ll check for refrigerant leaks to ensure your unit is in tip-top shape.
2. Take note of unusual noises. When compared to the buzzing and humming sounds of older, conventional air conditioners, mini-splits are like music to the ears. If your normally quiet mini-split is throwing a tantrum with clicking, popping or gurgling noises, don’t walk away and hope it’s just a glitch. Any unusual noises indicate a mechanical issue that needs to be corrected.
3. Speak up when you see frozen coils. Ice doesn’t mean your mini-split is working especially hard and deserves a medal. On the contrary, it indicates a problem with the unit. Low refrigerant levels and airflow issues can cause the coils to freeze. When left untreated, ice can actually destroy the unit. If there’s ice where it shouldn’t be, contact us to step in and repair your mini-split. The sooner you act, the less likely you are to face an expensive repair or, even worse, permanent system failure.
4. Act when you notice unusual smells or odors. If the area near your unit smells like mildew, mold, or even fish, this is a telltale sign that something is wrong. Foul smells can indicate either a refrigerant leak or low refrigerant levels. Either way, you’ll want to take action and have a professional correct the issue.
5. Make seasonal maintenance a priority. We saved the most important one for last! Annual maintenance is what really prevents all of these issues (refrigerant leaks, frozen coils, poor airflow, foul odors, etc.) from occurring. During an annual tune-up, your technician will inspect the unit from top to bottom and point out any minor issues that, when left untreated, would turn into major repairs. There is no better way to prevent mini-split repairs than through the proactive, see-it-and-fix-it approach of our maintenance service. For the best possible value, be sure to check out our various maintenance plans that include annual tune-ups and a whole bunch of membership perks!
Keep Your Home Cooler With Buehler!
We hope you’ve been taking it easy this summer and staying as cool as a cucumber. If you run into any issues with your mini-split, we’ll take $50 off the cost of a repair that’s $300 or more. That’s our definition of saving in style!