Serving Jacksonville, FL & Surrounding AreaStay Cooler With BuehlerCALL 904-906-4204
April 13, 2021
8 Ways to Save on AC Costs This Summer
Some Are Much Easier Than You Think!
It may still be spring, but that doesn’t mean you can’t start planning for summer! If you’ve been dreaming of a vacation getaway, you’ve probably been saving your money. As homeowners ourselves, we understand the expense of owning a home. So, we appreciate the need to save a few bucks so you can enjoy a vacation with your family. And as always, we’d like to help! The best way we know how is to share insider tips on cutting your air conditioning costs this summer. As the area’s top choice for AC replacement and installation in Jacksonville Beach, we know all about air conditioning! Here are eight tips for keeping costs down so you can put that extra cash toward a day off.
Simple Tricks That Cut AC Costs
Looking to cut back on those cooling expenses this year? Try one, two, three or all eight of our recommended tips. We know your wallet will be glad you did.
1. Invest in a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats do your thinking for you. Simply set the AC higher for the hours you’re at work, asleep or not in the house. Keep it cooler when you’re home. Many of these systems can be controlled by an app on your phone, too.
2. Replace HVAC filters. Consider replacing your filters monthly while your AC is in peak use. Clean, fresh filters mean your unit doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your home cool, which, in turn, reduces energy costs.
3. Seal windows. Poorly sealed windows can easily leak air—throwing money out the window by making your system work harder to cool your space. Caulk any leaks or window cracks you may find or simply install window stripping to prevent cool air from escaping.
4. Consider new windows. Is your home on the older side? If so, you may want to upgrade your windows to something more energy efficient. Today’s windows can greatly reduce energy costs during every season.
5. Install window awnings or heat blocking shades. Do you have certain windows that bring in too much sunlight and warmth? Window awnings do a great job of shading your windows from too much sunshine and can help keep your home cooler, making the initial investment worthwhile. For a simpler solution, purchase heat blocking shades for windows that get too much sunlight.
6. Use all kinds of fans. Set your AC temperature a bit higher and use fans to cool your home. Generate a nice cross breeze with ceiling fans and free-standing fans. If you have an attic, use fans there to help pull in cooler, outside air and push out warmer inside air.
7. Insulate your attic. Insulating attics, walls and crawlspaces is a great method for improving your energy efficiency. Folks who own older homes can greatly benefit from this service since older homes often have little insulation.
8. Use the grill. Summer is all about being outdoors—and this includes your cooking! Stove and oven use during summer increases the heat inside of your home and causes your AC system to work harder. Move your meals outside and onto the grill to cut down AC costs.
Bonus Tip: The Best Way to Reduce AC Costs
OK. This is probably a no-brainer, but, as the area’s No.1 choice for AC maintenance, we can’t express enough how important regular AC maintenance can be! Call the cool kids at Buehler for an AC tune-up that will result in your system working more efficiently. We’ll clean your coils, check all AC connections and make sure all refrigerant levels are up to par. End result: a smoothly functioning cooling system that saves you money. Like we always say: Stay Cooler with Buehler!